Recruiting and selecting staff fairly is important to demonstrate that you are an equal opportunities employer.Create recruitment and selection Procedure Explain
You must have a systematic, fair and objective way to recruit and select employees; tribunals attach significant weight to evidence which demonstrates that employers properly followed systematic and objective procedures. Such procedures and practices will significantly help you to reduce the possibility that unlawful discrimination may occur, and will increase the likelihood that the best and most suitable person will be appointed.
Develop a written policy & procedure that meets your business needs and addresses the issues listed below.
Provide appropriate training to all managers and any other persons who will, or may, have a role in implementing the recruitment and selection policy to ensure they understand:
- their responsibilities under the employer’s equal opportunities and recruitment and selection policies
- their and the employer’s responsibilities under current equality legislation
- the guidance set out in the equality codes of practice and other guidance publications issued by the Equality Commission
We can provide you with free training on recruitment and selection. Please contact us for further details.
Vacancy management Explain
If your business is expanding and you need to recruit new staff you should follow the recruitment and selection procedures highlighted in this section.
When a vacancy arises, consideration should be given to whether the vacancy should be filled by redeployment of staff
- as a reasonable adjustment to terms and conditions of service under Disability legislation
- to reduce a surplus of staff, including avoidance of potential redundancies
- as a result of a request for flexible working
- transfer of staff who have received a formal written warning as a result of unsatisfactory performance
- transfers necessary as a result of disciplinary measures
- situations involving the personal security of staff
- transfers necessary as a result of harassment allegations and investigations
- recommendations relating to the personal circumstances of an individual
If you require additional information please contact us.
The application process
Shortlisting & interviewing
Medical questionnaires & assessments
Applications from former offenders
Reserve list Explain
Reserve lists of successful applicants should normally be kept open for no longer than 12 months, unless there are very good practical or business reasons for extending the period.
I have a different question