European Commission against Racism and Intolerance (ECRI)
Equality Commission Recommendations
In June 2023 we have published our submission to the European Commission against Racism and Intolerance (ECRI) sixth monitoring cycle report. In our response we specifically focus on issues aligned to our remit which have been identified by ECRI as common topics for this cycle: ethnic minority and LGBTQI+ communities, including equality law reform, hate crime, and the need for effective strategies.
With respect to the specific focus of sixth cycle monitoring, the Committee may wish to consider recommending, via the UK State Party as appropriate:
- that the NI Executive produce equality strategies which convey leadership and gives effect to Equality Commission’s published recommendations for Racial, Sexual Orientation and Transgender Equality;
- that the NI Executive develop a Refugee Integration Strategy and Strategies for Travellers and Roma which take account of the published recommendations of the Equality Commission; and these individual targeted strategies should nest within or be considered a sub-set of an overarching (mainstreaming) Racial Equality Strategy;
- with regards to hate crime, actions in Northern Ireland to address under-reporting and support for victims; reviewing the legal framework for addressing racist violence; improving the accessibility of reporting for those for whom English is an additional language; improving minority representation in police and criminal justice staff; and co-ordinating action to address institutional racism;
- That equality protections are strengthened, harmonised and updated through single equality legislation, which meets best international practice, aligned with the Commission’s recommendations;
- In the absence of single equality legislation, urgent reform of race, sex, and sexual orientation legislation is undertaken to give effect to the published recommendations of the Equality Commission.
For a full list of our recommendations, see Annex 1 of our response to the European Commission against Racism and Intolerance (ECRI) - sixth monitoring cycle review of the UK (pdf, June 2023)