Skip to main content
In order to provide complete functionality, this web site needs your explicit consent to store browser cookies. If you don't allow cookies, you may not be able to use certain features of the web site including but not limited to: log in, buy products, see personalized content, switch between site cultures. It is recommended that you allow all cookies.
Unsure of your equality rights or the law? We can provide advice and assistance for people who feel they have been discriminated against.

Complaints procedure

What you need to know


What is the Commission’s discrimination complaints procedure?
This is how we process complaints about discrimination from those who feel they have been treated unfairly.

We can provide free confidential advice and can help a complainant to resolve their issue. We will not proceed further with an enquiry without the expressed permission of the complainant. However, if they need further help we may be able to provide legal assistance and possibly represent them at an industrial tribunal.

The following options are available:


Contact us
028 90 500 600
arrow Share your experience
arrow Tell us (anonymously if you prefer) what happened
arrow We use your experience to help focus our work
Get free confidential advice
arrow Try to resolve within time limits
arrow Apply for legal assistance from the Equality Commission
arrow We could represent you at Tribunal or Court



If you forward a case to us and we assist the claimant, and it is either settled or goes to tribunal or county court, we will include it in our Decisions and Settlements review publication. This will highlight your organisation’s referral to us.

Early Conciliation Service - Labour Relations Agency

Early Conciliation is a free service provided by the Labour Relations Agency to help employers and employees to resolve disputes without having to go through a public tribunal hearing. The service is confidential, impartial and there is no charge.

If you are considering making a complaint of discrimination at work, you MUST register your complaint with the Labour Relations Agency before you can lodge proceedings with the Office of the Industrial Tribunal and Fair Employment Tribunal.



Time limits

Remember - there are strict time limits for taking a case of discrimination. Complaints on employment issues must be made to the Tribunal within 3 months of the discriminatory act and complaints on service provision must be made to the County Court within 6 months.


Further information on discrimination is available from the following sections of our website:



< Your rights as an individual

Print All