Skip to main content
In order to provide complete functionality, this web site needs your explicit consent to store browser cookies. If you don't allow cookies, you may not be able to use certain features of the web site including but not limited to: log in, buy products, see personalized content, switch between site cultures. It is recommended that you allow all cookies.
Unsure of your equality rights or the law? We can provide advice and assistance for people who feel they have been discriminated against.

Early conciliation service

Labour Relations Agency

What you need to know


Early Conciliation Service - Labour Relations Agency

Labour Relations AgencyEarly Conciliation is a free service provided by the Labour Relations Agency to help employers and employees to resolve disputes without having to go through a public tribunal hearing. The service is confidential, impartial and there is no charge.

From Monday 27 January 2020, if you are considering making a complaint of discrimination at work, you MUST register your complaint with the Labour Relations Agency before you can lodge proceedings with the Office of the Industrial Tribunal and Fair Employment Tribunal.

You will need to complete the LRA Notification Form. For this, you will need:

  • your National Insurance number
  • the legal name and address of your employer
  • contact details for the employer and anyone else, such as trade union or legal representatives, that the LRA may need.

A conciliation officer will get in touch with you, usually within five working days. They will ask you if you want to use the service and if you do, for your permission to contact your employer. You will also get an LRA certificate number which you MUST have before you can take your case to tribunal.

If you decide to try early conciliation, the normal deadline for lodging a claim with the Tribunal (usually 3 months from the date of the alleged incident or behaviour) will be put on hold for up to one calendar month to allow you to attempt conciliation with your employer.

You do not have to take up the Early Conciliation Service, but it is a legal requirement to notify the LRA using the online form and you will need the certificate number to allow you to proceed to tribunal.

Print All